Why do people visit the Festival of Culture and Camel Races?
Since its conception in 2001, the Festival of Culture and Camel Races continues to attract people for its unique multicultural experience along with the opportunity to experience Camel Races in an affordable family environment.
How do I get there?
Tara is a small country town with a population between 900 - 1000 people, situated 2 hrs NW of Toowoomba, on the Western Darling Downs.Tara is accessible from the north, south, east and west by car or coach. Directions are as follows:
- From Brisbane: Take the Warrego Highway exit off of the Ipswich Motorway, following to Toowoomba. Pass through Toowoomba continuing on the Warrego Highway to Dalby. Turn left at the lights, taking the Moonie Highway for approx 44km's, cross over a grid, immediately turn right to Tara (Surat Developmental Rd) for 44km's.
- From Moonie: head approx 45km's north up the Leichhardt Hwy, turning right at The Gums intersection. Travel along the Surat Developmental Rd for approx 28km's into Tara.
- From Surat: travel into Glenmorgan, continue straight along the Surat Developmental Rd for approx 87km's leading into Tara.
- From Chinchilla: head south out of Chinchilla on the Tara Chinchilla Rd for approx 70km's, leading into Tara.
What accommodation is available?
Tara Festival of Culture & Camel Races has camping sites at the event for tents, caravans or motorhomes. A standard fee applies. Just follow the directions on entry at the event. Camping bookings are not required.
A flat rate camping fee of just $25 per site applies - and covers you for up to five nights. Please note the site fee applies - whether it's one night or five nights.
Access to the showgrounds for camping will commence 9.00 am Wednesday the 2nd August, 2017 and finish 5.00 pm Monday the 7th August, 2017. (Visitors wishing to stay on will be subject to council camping fees. Access to the showgrounds is also dependent on weather). For more information visit the Festival Camping page FESTIVAL CAMPING CLICK HERE
Other Tara accommodation: all accommodation located in the Tara township is within walking distance of the festival. A fee applies to all facilities listed below.
- Tara Hotel Motel, Baddley's Lane Tara Ph: (07) 4665 3410
- Commercial Hotel, 45 Day Street Tara Ph: (07) 4665 3214
- Tara Spa Apartments, 18 Milne Street Tara Ph: (07) 4669 4001 Mob: 0429 496 257
- Tara Caravan Park, Milne Street Tara Ph: (07) 4665 3979 Mob: 0438 842 450
- Tara Lagoon Parklands: Camping, Caravans welcome. Unpowered sites, showers, toilets, bbq's, walkways. Adjacent to the Tara Lagoon.
Can I hire a bike?
Tara does not have the option to hire a bike.
However, if you do have a bike with you, the Tara Lagoon Parklands has a 2km cycle track which is popular for the casual ride.
I'm hungry, where can I eat?
The Tara Festival of Culture & Camel Races has a multitude of various Aussie, country and cultural cuisine for you to experience.
- Tara Cafe, 25 Day Street Tara Ph: (07) 4665 3152
- Woolshed Bakery 38 Day Street Tara Ph: (07) 4669 4400
- Commercial Hotel Tara, 35 Day Street Tara Ph: (07) 4665 3214
- Tara Bowls Club, Bilton Street Tara Ph: (07) 4665 3329
Where is EFTPOS/Cash available ?
The withdrawal of funds in Tara is limited to the following facilities:
- National Australia Bank, Day Street Tara
- Commercial Hotel, 35 Day Street Tara (ATM, EFTPOS)
- Tara Foodworks, Cnr Day and Fry Streets Tara (EFTPOS withdrawal)
- Tara Cafe 25 Day Street Tara (ATM, EFTPOS)
- Tara Newagency Day Street Tara (Heritage Building Society)
- Tara Post Office Fry Street Tara (Commonwealth Bank Agent)
There will be an ATM facility available on site at the festival, but please note, there is no EFTPOS at the festival gate.
The majority of businesses operate EFTPOS in Tara.
Can you drink the town water?
The current town water in Tara is not suitable for drinking. Whilst there is limited supply of rainwater at the Tara Showgrounds, it is highly recommended sufficient drinking water is brought with you or it can be purchased in town and at the festival.
What is the night life like?
The Festival will provide entertainment into the evening on Friday and Saturday. Activities outside of the Festival, can include the Tara Bowls Club, with the Commercial Hotel or Tara Hotel Motel known for conducting some type of activity.
Note: Tara is a small country town with the community enjoying and respecting each others company.We don't have night clubs, just good old country hospitality and merriment.
Can I access the camping area prior to the event?
The committee for the Festival of Culture and Camel Races appreciates visitors will be arriving early to Tara in preparation of the festivals activities and the opportunities to soak up the tourism within Tara's limits.
Please note, a flat rate camping fee of just $25 per site applies - and covers you for up to five nights.
Please note the site fee applies - whether it's one night or five nights.
Access to the showgrounds for camping will commence 9.00 am Wednesday the 2nd August, 2017 and finish 5.00 pm Monday the 7th August, 2017. (Visitors wishing to stay on will be subject to council camping fees. Access to the showgrounds is also dependent on weather)
Can I access camping outside of the ticket sale hours?
No worries, just come and buy your wristbands when the ticket box is open the following day as you will need your wristband to enter the festival!
Can generators be used?
Generators are allowed as long as they are not excessively loud from 7am to 8 pm.
Are Dogs or pets allowed?
Dogs are allowed to camp but must be restrained and abide by council regulations. Dogs and pets will not be permitted into the festival section of the show ground. It's also really important to please keep your pets well away from the racetrack, for the safety of the camels, jockeys and your pets.
Can I have an open fire?
Contained self contained fires are permitted in camping areas. There will be firewood available for sale. BYO fire container/bin/stove. Please join us each evening also in the community fire pits to meet other campers from the Wednesday night.
Firewood will be available for purchase onsite.
- Wednesday (2nd Aug) 10am to 5pm
- Thursday to Sunday (3rd to 6th Aug) 6am to 10am then again 2pm to 6pm.
LOCATION: At the amenities blocks in the caravan area and someone will also roam the camping area in a ute with wood for sale.
Are there dump points onsite?
Please note we do not have dump points on the festival site for motorhomes/RVs. Please use official dump points prior to coming to Tara.